Dear Parents, Guardians, and Community Members,
On behalf of the Board of Trustees and the Palermo Union School District Team, it is with great pleasure that I welcome our students and families to the 2016-2017 school year!
The 2016-2017 school year should prove to be an exciting one! This year we will begin implementation of the Common Core State Standards. These new content standards provide a practical way to prepare children for the challenges of our constantly changing world. The new standards provide students with the real-world skills they need to ensure they have the tools to become successful and productive citizens. To learn more about the Common Cores State Standards visit www.corestandards.org/.
My goal for the Palermo Union School District is to promote the success of all students by facilitating the development, articulation, implementation, and stewardship of a vision of learning that is shared and supported by the school community.
We can accomplish this by:
- Articulating high expectations for the performance of all students and adults
- Focusing on student achievement and developing content and instruction that ensures we meet our students’ academic needs
- Creating a culture of continuous learning for adults tied to student learning and other school goals
- Using multiple sources of data and diagnostic tools to assess, identify, and apply instructional improvement
- Engaging the community to create shared responsibility for student and school success
- Promoting the success of all students by acting with integrity, fairness, and in an ethical manner.
I also want to encourage parents, guardians, grandparents, and community members to get involved in our schools. We have a fantastic school district with many opportunities to volunteer. Feel free to speak to your child’s teacher or the school principal about opportunities for involvement.
I hope you are as excited as I am about the 2016-2017 school year!
Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions, concerns, etc.
Dr. Bryan L. Caples